The Executive Yuan approves permanent residency program for migrant workers, caregivers, and foreign graduates
Tsai Meng-liang (蔡孟良), head of the MOL's Workforce Development Agency said Taiwan's shortage of "intermediate skilled manpower" was as high as 131,000 in 2021. Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) is hoping Taiwan can retain 80,000 experienced migrant workers and 80,000 foreign graduates by 2030.
To compound the problem, the Executive Yuan approved a proposal by the Ministry of Labor (MOL) to enable migrant worker, caregivers and overseas students to apply for permanent residence within five years after meeting certain qualifications, such as:
1. Applicable people: (1) Migrant workers who have worked in Taiwan for more than 6 years. (2) Overseas students who have obtained an associate degree or above in higher education in Taiwan.
2. Open job categories: (1) Industry categories: manufacturing work, construction industry work, outreach agricultural work, agricultural work (limited to orchids, mushrooms, and vegetables), and marine fishing work. (2) Caregiver: institutional and households. (3) Other designated work: national key industry work designated by the central governing authority.
3. Employer qualifications: the same as the current employer qualifications for hiring migrant workers.
4. Qualification of foreigners:
(1) Salary: a. Industrial or other designated jobs: The monthly regular salary is more than NTD$33,000, or the total annual salary is more than NTD$500,000. b. Caregiver: The monthly regular salary of institutional nurses is more than 29,000 yuan; the total monthly salary of family caregivers is more than 24,000 yuan.
(2) Technical conditions: a. Industry or other designated jobs: meet one of the qualifications such as professional licenses, training courses or practice certification provided by the Ministry of Labor. However, the regular salary is more than NTD$35,000, and technical conditions are exempted. b. Caregiver: should also meet the qualifications for the Chinese language test and related education and training courses.
5. Quota: Individual employers in industries applying for intermediate skilled manpower quotas shall not exceed 25% of the migrant worker allocation ratio, and the total of migrant workers, intermediate skilled manpower and professional foreigners shall not exceed 50% of the total number of employees.
The " Long-term employ plan for migrant workers " program (移工留才久用方案) will definitely go into effect at the end of April
After senior migrant workers or foreign students have turned into foreign intermediate skilled manpower, there is no limit on working years in Taiwan, and those who have worked continuously for 5 years and are eligible can apply for permanent residence.
Premier Su Tseng-chang firstly announced the mentioned program on 18th, February. Later on 18the March, he once again addressed that Taiwan's economic fore look has reached the highest in 11 years, and Taiwan is currently lacking workers. The " Long-term employ plan for migrant workers " program (移工留才久用方案) will definitely go into effect at the end of April, said the Labor Minister Xu Mingchun.
(title image credit：AFP)
- https://www.ey.gov.tw/Page/448DE008087A1971/bce9fe3c-0570-4dde-9018-d9bbf176661b (院會議案 移工留才久用方案 日期：111-02-17)
- https://udn.com/news/story/7238/6175235 (移工留才久用方案 勞長：4月底一定上路) 2022-03-18 20:42 經濟日報
- https://udn.com/news/story/7238/6104123 (留才三條件 政院拍板藍領移工可永久居留 2022-02-17 11:28 聯合報)